Antofagasta Minerals has requested Expande to scout for suppliers in the local and international ecosystem that can provide solutions for the challenge “Wear elements in material handling system, hydrometallurgical plant ”
The objective is to identify new wear elements made of materials and alloys resistant to corrosion, abrasion and impact break in a material handling system in the hydrometallurgical plant. The process areas involved are the ore transfer and transportation points of the crushing plant, the stacking and unloading system of tailings.
In the case of the dry area, the presence of fine material with a high content of silica added to the impacts generated by the free fall of the ore, generate premature damage to the chute plates and coatings, which affects the availability of the system demanding the use of human and financial resources in maintenance tasks.
In the case of the conveyor belt system, an acid solution is added to the crushed ore for its subsequent loading in leach pads and, once the process cycle has been completed, it is unloaded and disposed in dumps specially enabled for this purpose. For various operational and process-specific reasons, wear elements such as guard plates and others, come into
contact with the crushed mineral causing damage due to the effect of corrosion.
Wear elements are required to be designed to facilitate replacement tasks, in addition to having a longer useful life under the described operating conditions.
• Material handling system• VARIABLES TO CONTROL:
Wear rate and useful life of elements: chutes wear plates and conveyor belt guard plates
• Plate materials: natural rubber, ceramics, carbon steel plates (500 HB).
• Plate geometries 291×291, 330×250, 100×315, 156×291. with disposition of wear elements according to use.
• Ceramic plate tests were carried out on the CT03 belt in the primary area, which did not perform as expected and were replaced in a shorter time than those already in use.
• Use of high impact ceramic plates with rubber damping. Ceramic plates with white cast iron on the outside (700 HB). In addition, the geometry of the plates (arrangement of the wear elements of the plates).
KPI of project/challenge:
• ktonnes processed.